09 10

Monday 8 September 2014

Ricotta cheese made simple


Sometimes making something fresh from home-made is not particularly "cost effective" meaning it can be either cheaper or at least the same cost just buying from the store.  But as someone who loves to cook and experiment, sometimes it doesn't matter to me.  I just want to make it myself.

This is how I felt about my recent experiment in making ricotta cheese from scratch.  It was pretty quick and easy, but once I bought the whole milk (something I don't usually keep in the house), and the heavy cream (something I usually keep in the house, but on this particular day I didn't have), I probably could have just bought a tub. If you want to try this yourself, you will also need some cheesecloth you will have to buy this as well, but it is very inexpensive, and a little goes a long way.

This is very simple to do, and it really is creamy and delicious.  I wanted to make some to add to a ravioli filling I was making (see next blog for recipe).


Home-made Ricotta Cheese
Recipe by Fluudbloggler

4 cups whole (3%) milk
2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)
1/2 tsp salt*
3 tbsp white vinegar**

Prepare your cheesecloth by placing a fine strainer over a bowl, and line with two layers of damp cheesecloth.

Place milk and cream and salt in a pan on medium high, and heat until boiling, stirring now and then to avoid burning.

 


Remove from heat and add vinegar.
The milk mixture will start to curdle.  Leave for about 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times.  You should see bigger clumps forming.

Pour into cheese cloth and let drain.


 Let it drain for about 2 hours, and now and then slightly squeeze the cheesecloth to get as much liquid out as much liquid as possible.

Discard the liquid in the bowl.  Scoop out the cheese from the cheesecloth and place in a bowl in the fridge.  It is ready to eat after it's slightly cold.  I can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.

*Other recipes suggest Kosher salt.  Regular salt is fine.
**Other recipes will call for lemon juice or white wine vinegar.  I've had more success using regular white vinegar.



No comments:

Post a Comment